Sunday, January 11, 2015

Chicken Soup with Garlic and Ginger

Finally. Winter is here.

I am STILL trying to blow the remains of a cold out of my system. This soup helped enormously.


It was also a great opportunity to test out my BEAUTIFUL NEW KNIFE.


Wooden sheath (as well as the cutting board) made by my Dad. 
Endless thanks, Dad. 

Start with the classics: onions, celery, carrots. Dice 'em up.


Keep mirepoix to the side, and thinly slice three cloves garlic and a one to two-inch piece of ginger.


Good job, knife.
Now, sear chicken breast on both sides. This soup is heavier on the vegetables, so I only used one.


Let it rest, and chuck the garlic and ginger into the hot oil.


Yup, right in there. No cleaning.
Fry garlic and ginger until fragrant, and put in the rest of the vegetables. 
Sauté until softened, about ten minutes, then cover with chicken or vegetable stock. Shred the chicken breast and put shreds into the pot. I remembered I had some leeks in the fridge. Slice as shown, and throw in the pot as well. 


Simmer soup for about twenty minutes, then season to taste with salt and pepper. 


Best with biscuits.
Keep warm, everybody.




1 comment:

  1. Very nice, Ceileigh, very warm and frosty and warm and cozy.

    m

    ReplyDelete